Pingjian Xia was born in Jiangsu Province in 1954. He studied at the Department of Management Engineering of Nanjing Polytechnic Institute and the School of Journalism and Communication of Nanjing Normal University. He ever served as the Minister of Publicity Department of CYL Nantong Committee, the Chief of News Section of Nantong Publicity Department, the President of Nantong TV Station, and the Deputy Director of Nantong Radio and Television Bureau. In 2000, he was transferred to SJTU. From 2001 to 2002, he was commissioned to work in National Digital TV Special Office. From 2002 to 2008, he served as the Vice Dean of SMD.
The First Class Prize of Shanghai Scientific and Technological Advancement Award; The Second Class Prize of Science and Technology Award of China Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.
1. He was involved in Research and development of the national standard GB20600-2006 for terrestrial digital TV, which has played an important role in properly defining the application requirements of terrestrial digital TV.
2. He led the project The Application Scheme of National Standard C=1 System for Terrestrial Digital TV – Shenzhou Jiajiatong.
3. He led the research to implement the industrialization of the national standards for terrestrial digital TV from core technology, mass production of chips, commercial receivers, and system integration to demonstration project.
4. He takes charge of SJTU’s all the digital TV research projects supported by National Development and Reform Commission, SJTU’s electronic development fund sponsored by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, and the major industrialization demonstration projects supported by Shanghai Revitalization with Science and Technology Program. In particular, the project High Definition Television Visual Lossless Compression Technology and Non-linear Board Editing Technology has won the Second Class Prize of Science and Technology Award of China Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. The project Surface-to-Air High-Speed Airborne Broadband Wireless Image Transmission System for the Searching Use in the Landing Field of Shenzhou Six Re-entry Capsule has won The First Class Prize of 2006 Shanghai Science and Technology Award.
5. He has been involved in the Development Policy Research of Digital TV Industry supported by National Development and Reform Commission, Research on High Definition Digital TV Business Models supported by the State Administration of Radio and Television, and the Construction Scheme of the National Engineering Center of Digital TV supported by Shanghai Development and Reform Commission.
Business Model of Digital TV